CIA Exam: Why, How, and What Is Changing
To ensure the material within all three parts of the CIA exam stays current and valid, the CIA underwent a global job analysis study to determine the knowledge, skills, and abilities most applicable to today’s internal audit practitioners. The study results indicated the need to revise the exam syllabi to reflect the evolution of the internal audit profession worldwide.
- Three exam parts are focused, clear, and uniform.
- Minimal duplication and overlap among exam parts.
- Aligned with The IIA’s International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
- Up-to-date with the current global practice of internal auditing.
- Covers the knowledge, skills, and abilities exam candidates must possess to be the most competent and capable internal auditor possible.
CIA Exam Language Release Dates
The new CIA exams are currently available in Arabic, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, and Turkish, with additional languages released in 2021. See the chart below and plan your studies accordingly.
|CIA Exam Part One: Essentials of Internal Auditing
||CIA Exam Part Two: Practice of Internal Auditing
||CIA Exam Part Three: Business Knowledge for Internal Auditing|
The updated CIA exam has taken effect as of January 2019, in English only. Exam candidates should review the syllabus changes and determine the best timing to complete their individual studies and take the exam. Once the updated exam is released in a new language, the previous exam version will no longer be available in that language. Select and view exam syllabus details below.
2018 CIA Exam Syllabus
2019 CIA Exam Syllabus
Please review the CIA Exam: Why and How It’s Changing Handbook and CIA Exam: FAQs for additional details.
The IIA’s Customer Relations team is available to assist CIA candidates during the transition. Call +1-407-937-1111 or email CustomerRelations@theiia.org.