Tammy Guthrie CFSA, CRVPM
Senior Operations Auditor Regions Bank
1. What prompted you to become a Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA)? I felt the need to become certified as an important part of being recognized as a senior auditor by my peers and management.
2. In addition to the CFSA, do you hold other IIA certification(s) and why did you choose to pursue the CFSA and possibly others? Do you plan to pursue other IIA certifications and if so, which ones and why? I have become increasingly interested in vendor management over the past couple of years and obtained the Certified Regulatory Vendor Program Manager (CRVPM) certification last year. I chose the CFSA because I felt this certification helps to solidify my position as a qualified internal auditor in the banking industry. I plan to pursue other IIA certifications, including the Certification in Risk Management Assurance (CRMA). Being able to communicate the importance of risk management concepts to management is the motivating factor for pursuing this certification.
3. How does having the CFSA certification set you apart from your non-certified financial services peers? Pursuing a certification shows a dedication to learning and that is a good quality to have in the internal audit industry.
4. How has your CFSA and other designations helped your career? Earning these certifications has given me more confidence and the ability to stand out.
5. Has earning the CFSA enhanced your skill level? In one word, Yes. It takes tremendous effort to study for and pass these certifications. Studying for certifications reinforces the ability to apply audit standards and audit methodology.
6. What advice do you have for others who are considering obtaining a CFSA or other IIA certification? Go for it! The sooner the better. The time and effort it takes to obtain this achievement will pay off both personally and professionally.
7. How does career planning and development play a part in your growth? You must be a champion for yourself and take control of your own professional career. I am committed to learning and growing in this ever-changing field. It is important to set goals for yourself and one of those being to continue pursuing relevant certifications.
8. What’s the best career advice you’ve ever received? You are in control of your professional career. Do what is right for you. Be the best you can be.
Tammy Guthrie is a senior internal auditor for Regions Bank. In addition to her CFSA, Guthrie is a Certified Regulatory Vendor Program Manager (CRVPM). Her professional experience includes over 12 years of banking experience including 10 years in internal audit. Guthrie’s focus is on helping the company enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of business operations, as well as increase awareness on risk and improve internal controls. She has served on the board of the IIA–Birmingham Chapter for more than five years and served in various leadership roles. One of Guthrie’s achievements has been to successfully plan quality audit training programs for the chapter’s conferences over the past three years.