George Hendrix, CIA, CFSA, CCSA, CRMA, CPA
Senior Auditor, Wells Fargo
Member, Charlotte - North Carolina
1. What prompted you to become a Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA)?
I consider myself an ambitious professional who always strives to make myself better and to always present myself to others in the best possible manner. Becoming certified was the best way to prove and display my commitment to excellence.
2. In addition to the CFSA, do you hold other IIA certification(s) and why did you choose to pursue the CFSA and possibly others? Do you plan to pursue other IIA certifications and if so, which ones and why?
In addition to the CFSA, I also hold the CIA, CRMA, and CCSA certifications. I became a CPA early in my career and when I entered the internal audit world, I discovered The IIA and what it had to offer. All of my certifications have been a great tool in building my expertise and will serve as a foundation for what I intend to be a promising future.
3. How does having the CFSA certification set you apart from your non-certified financial services peers?
My certifications set me apart by proving my commitment to always learning and building on my skill set.
4. How has your CFSA and other designations helped your career?
Earning my certifications has provided me with opportunities to stand out in my profession.
5. Has earning the CFSA enhanced your skill level?
Having spent the time and effort to review the study material, pass the exams, and earn the certifications, it has greatly improved my understanding and ability to apply the principles in my daily work.
6. What advice do you have for others who are considering obtaining a CFSA or other IIA certification?
Earning a certification is a major commitment. You will definitely feel a sense of pride and accomplishment when you walk out of the exam and see that you passed. It is even better when you receive your certificate in the mail a few weeks later.
7. How does career planning and development play a part in your growth?
Setting attainable goals plays a major role in my growth and development. Every year I look at what I have accomplished and look to build on that experience for the next year.
8. What’s the best career advice you’ve ever received?
You must take charge of your own career. No one will do it for you. Be honest with yourself and set attainable goals.
George Hendrix has served as a senior auditor with Wells Fargo Audit Services in the Finance and Corporate Activities group for almost three years. His experience includes expatriate tax compliance with PricewaterhouseCoopers and as a tax auditor for the South Carolina Department of Revenue.