The IIA Releases New Practice Guide on Unique Aspects of Internal Auditing in the Public Sector
Incorporating the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and insights for internal audit practitioners in the public sector globally, this new recommended guidance from The IIA will help CAEs and internal auditors navigate the unique aspects of internal auditing in a public sector context.
Public sector organizations are expected to serve the public good, uphold the principles of ethical governance, and comply with myriad laws and regulations. Yet the nature of politics may put pressure on, or conflict with, ethical governance principles. This guide provides a solid foundation to help internal auditors properly manage the opposing forces of political pressures and ethical principles.
- Understanding the definition of public sector and the types of public sector organizations.
- Recognizing public sector governance roles and how they may affect internal audit principles such as organizational independence and unrestricted access.
- Incorporating any additional standards specific to the public sector.
- Assessing the organization’s commitment to ethical governance principles.
- Identifying the types of engagements performed in the public sector and how to plan them.
IIA members are invited to download this guidance and all guidance as a benefit of membership. Nonmembers may purchase Supplemental Guidance by visiting the IIA Bookstore.