Become a Quality Services Volunteer
The IIA uses volunteer internal audit practitioners to complement the quality assessment team, led by a qualified team leader, to perform external quality assessments. The three primary functions of the external quality assessment team are to:
- Determine conformance with the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards).
- Evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the internal audit activity within the organization.
- Offer potential leading practice recommendations.
Volunteering involves a commitment of time only. All travel, accommodations, and meal expenses are covered by The IIA. Benefits available to participants include:
- Valuable learning experience while examining internal audit activities in different organizations.
- Hands-on experience to prepare internal audit activities for a future external assessment.
- Continuing Professional Education (CPE) hours.
- Gift certificate to the IIA Research Foundation Bookstore.
To qualify, volunteer team members should have:
- Minimum of three years of internal auditing experience.
- Professionally-recognized certification (e.g., CIA, CISA, CPA, etc.).
- Current knowledge of the Standards.
- Experience in The IIA's quality assessment methodology, gained through participation in The IIA's course titled Performing an Effective Quality Assessment.
When a client engages The IIA to conduct a quality assessment, The IIA will:
- Determine the size of the team and the length of the engagement necessary to conduct the assessment.
- Select a team leader and potential volunteers for the client's review and selection. (Since quality assessment expenses are covered by the client, geographic location is one of the criteria for clients' use in volunteer selection, in addition to auditing experience in the client's industry.)
- Contact the volunteers selected by the client to determine their availability.
- Confirm the selected and available volunteers with the client for final selection.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please apply now by completing the assessment team volunteer form. Contact The IIA by e-mail at email@example.com or phone +1-407-937-1399 for additional information or assistance.
Generally, an external quality assessment is scheduled for one or two weeks.
- The salaries and/or paid time off for all volunteers must be covered by the volunteer's company. All other expenses are reimbursed by The IIA.
- In advance of the assessment, the selected volunteers are sent copies of the Standards, the Quality Assessment Manual, and the client's self-study.
- The team assembles on a Sunday afternoon for training near the client's location. The assessment begins the following day.
If you are interested in becoming a quality assessment volunteer, please complete the assessment team volunteer form. Contact IIA Quality Services by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1-407-937-1399 for additional information or assistance.