Become a Quality Services Volunteer
Utilize your expertise and quality services knowledge to enhance the profession and earn Continuing Professional Education (CPE) hours as a Quality Services Volunteer. In this role, you will join The IIA’s quality assessment team, led by a qualified team leader, and perform external quality assessments. The three primary functions of external quality assessment teams are to:
- Determine conformance with the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards).
- Evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of an organization’s internal audit activity.
- Offer leading practice recommendations.
- Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Hours
- Quality Assessment Manual.
- Valuable learning experience while examining internal audit activities in different industries.
- Experience in preparation for your own future external assessment.
To qualify, volunteers should have:
- Minimum of three years of internal auditing experience.
- Professionally recognized certification (e.g., CIA, CISA, CPA, etc.),
- Current knowledge of the Standards.
- Experience in The IIA's quality assessment methodology, gained through participation in The IIA's course in the external assesment methodology.
When a client engages The IIA to conduct a quality assessment, The IIA will:
- Determine the size of the team and the length of the engagement necessary to conduct the assessment.
- Select a team leader and potential volunteers for the client's review and selection. (Since quality assessment expenses are covered by the client, geographic location is one of the criteria for clients' use in volunteer selection, in addition to auditing experience in the client's industry.)
- Contact the volunteers selected by the client to determine their availability.
- Confirm the selected and available volunteers with the client for final selection.
A typical external quality assessment is scheduled over the course of one or two weeks. In advance of the assessment, the selected volunteers are sent copies of the Standards, the Quality Assessment Manual, and the client's self-study. Teams typically assemble on Sundays for training and orientation near the client's location. The assessment begins the following day. Salaries and/or paid time off for all volunteers should be covered by the volunteer’s company. All other expenses are covered by The IIA.
For more information or assistance, or if you would like to become a Quality Services Volunteer, please email IIA Quality Services at email@example.com.