Call for Subject Matter Experts
The IIA is seeking experienced internal audit professionals to share their knowledge and expertise as we work together to develop training content on leading practices and emerging issues. We currently have a number of opportunities for you to get involved as a subject matter expert (SME).
SME Development Requirements
- Development of preliminary course outline to include the course learning objectives and topics to be covered
- Development of accurate, relevant, and timely content divided into well-designed segments that flow in a logical sequence and support the course learning objectives
- Identification of graphics, images, and/or tables that support the presentation of the content
- Identification of templates and examples (as needed) to provide participants with information and tools they can apply to their jobs
- Identification of supplemental readings associated with the course content
- Development of comprehension checks and final assessment questions that appropriately test participants’ knowledge of the content presented (if required)
IIA Development Requirements
- Collaboration with SMEs to develop the structure and order of the content
- Development of the course materials: guides and onscreen lessons (OSLs)
- Development of graphics, images, tables, and other multimedia elements
- Project management for tracking schedule, key milestones, and deliverables
- Performance of quality assurance reviews
Training Delivery Methods
The IIA offers the following types of training delivery methods:
- In-Person Seminars – In-Person Seminars are typically two to four day courses, amounting to 16 to 32 hours of content. In-Person Seminars normally contain case studies, small and large group discussions and activities, and takeaways (such as templates, examples, tools) that participants can apply to their jobs.
- Online Seminars – Online Seminars are four to eight hour courses, amounting to four to eight hours of content. Online Seminars may contain small case studies, small and large group discussions and activities, virtual functions (such as polling questions, breakout sessions for small group discussions and activities, and chat), and takeaways (such as templates, examples, tools) that participants can apply to their jobs.
- OnDemand Course – OnDemand courses are one to four hour online, self-directed (asynchronous) courses, amounting to 50 to 200 minutes of content. OnDemand courses require comprehension checks and final assessment questions.
The level of effort necessary and the time for development of content depends on whether the course is new or if it needs to be revised:
- New Course Development – New course development requires development of all new content.
- Course Revisions – Course revisions require updates and revision to the existing course content.
Example of Timelines and Content Guidelines
The following are examples of the timeline and content for developing an OnDemand course. The timeline and content guidelines will vary for In-Person and Online Seminars depending on the length of the course and the nature of the content:
- Timeline for OnDemand Courses – The standard amount of time for SMEs to develop and review content for 1 hour of content is between 1–2 months. Specific timelines are determined based on the length of the course and the nature of the content. Timelines are discussed and agreed upon with SMEs before development begins.
- Content Guidelines for OnDemand Courses – The following outlines the general content guidelines for development per CPE. These can change based on the length of the content.
|Required word count for 1 CPE
|Required # of comprehension checks for 1 CPE
||9 comprehension checks|
|Required # of final assessment questions for 1 CPE
||10 final assessment questions|
The following lists the monetary payment provided for each type of training delivery method:
- In-Person Seminars – Monetary payment is $5,000 per day (8 CPE). The monetary payment for course revisions is $2,000 per day (8 CPE).
- Online Seminars – Monetary payment is $2,500 for a 4-hour course (4 CPE) and $5,000 for an 8-hour course (8 CPE).
- OnDemand – Monetary payment is $500 per CPE.
For SMEs who cannot accept monetary payment, the department can offer leader credits, which can be used toward IIA training.
Application for In-Person Courses
Application for OnDemand Courses