Print-friendly Course Description and Outline
IT systems development projects fail to meet expectations of management and primary stakeholders at an alarming rate. Project challenges negatively impact organizations, customers, financial position, and productivity. This seminar will provide auditors with key information to better facilitate performance of assurance audits and non-audit/advisory services related to core IT systems development projects. Project phases and the corresponding key controls to reduce risk will be reviewed and discussed.
Important elements for audit project planning, including risk assessment activities and sample audit programs, will be provided with examples to assist in the development of an audit/monitoring process. Real-life examples of IT project challenges and lessons learned will be shared. Auditors and IT auditors with three or more years of experience should attend this training to strengthen their approach to auditing IT systems development projects. Auditors and IT auditors with greater than five years’ experience will benefit from this course as a refresher on auditing IT systems development projects and systems development life cycle (SDLC).
These important issues will be discussed during the seminar:
- Project risks
- Project management triangle
- Participation, roles, and responsibilities
- Project management methodologies
- Executive management sponsors
- Risk management
- Internal audit’s role
- Risk assessment/audit plans
- Audit programs/monitoring
- Key controls
- Status reporting
- Vendor management
- Post-implementation reviews
Learning objectives for this course are to:
- Review and discuss the barriers to completion of successful IT system development projects.
- Identify and review the different system development life cycle (SDLC) methodologies.
- Understand the key elements of the IT system development life cycle.
- Identify and discuss key project risks.
- Review and learn about primary project controls.
- Review the different participation roles for internal audit.
- Learn how to develop an audit/monitoring plan for IT system development projects.
- Review engagement audit plans and activities for key aspects of the system development projects.
- Provide examples of lessons learned and leading practices.
- Identify and share auditor training needs and key reference materials and resources for future use.
After completing this training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the challenges and risks associated with IT system development projects.
- Identify and test IT systems development project controls.
- Assess project risks and plan audit activities to provide assurance and/or minimize risk.
- Conduct audits and/or monitoring of project high risk areas.
- Highlight problem areas to assist project management in receiving additional resources and support.
|Course Duration: 2 day(s)
|CPEs Available: 16
|Knowledge Level: Intermediate
|Field of Study: Auditing
3 years or more auditing experience with IT audit experience.
|Delivery Method: On-site Training (Group-Live)
Barriers to successful IT systems development projects
Phases of projects
Project risks and controls
Auditing IT system development projects
Audit activities (including audit programs)
Tips, lessons learned, and leading practices
Reference materials/resources for future use
Exercises will be used to reinforce the learning objectives. Some examples are:
- New Project Start-up – Potential Challenges/Risks
- Assessing Risks
- Monitoring Projects
- Training Needs/Tools
Also, some project audit programs and other tips will be provided for use in implementing IT system development projects audits.
Note: This training can be provided in one- or two-day sessions. The one-day training will be condensed with reduced emphasis on the number of exercises and case studies performed, audit programs reviewed, and review of the reporting approach/process.
Most courses can be delivered through on-site training. You might be surprised that the organization leading the profession is just as committed to the delivery of affordable training.
Contact us by calling +1-407-937-1388 or send an e-mail to GetTraining@theiia.org.